Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Currie's Gratitude 1 January 2013



I think mistakes are good for me
Like vitamins
And drinking enough water
And getting enough sleep…
They keep me aware
And curious
And learning all the time.

I used to BE mortified by mistakes. BEing called out on them. BEing shamed or disgraced in front of others. I canNOT say I miss those What Happened After bits, but I CAN say I love making mistakes Now.

Even in front of people.

Or where everyone can see. [if they are looking ;~D]

When I was teaching I used to have the kids cut off their erasers and use bright colours to circle their mistakes. We celebrated these as great opportunities and gifts, which I BElieve they are.

When I was 9, we moved in April of my 4th grade year. My old school hadn’t taught cursive yet. My new teacher wouldn’t let me participate until I COULD DO SO in cursive.

This was when I BEgan to cover, deny, and flat-out hate making mistakes.

Where I BEgan to BElieve that I WAS [AM] a Mistake.

It took me many many oh so too many years to discover this and to BEgin to change my thinkingandfeeling on the matter. It took some pretty wretched experiences and taking myself down dark and musty hallways of shame to find light again…

I love you, Currie

No comments: