Monday, September 3, 2012

Currie's Gratitude 3 September 2012

Ó 2012 Currie Silver


Sometimes, and please don’t laugh…
I simply don’t have a clue
Don’t know
And I feel exposed
Then, without fanfare
I say so.
Oh what I can learn… THEN

Why is it so difficult to NOT know?! To BE uncertain?! In the dark?! Outside without any view in?! It is like a nasty virus that no one wants to admit they have and simultaneously reason enough to laugh at others for having. It is a total deal-breaker, too, with kids in the WHY?! WHY?! WHY?! Stage. In fact, I think it’s harder than most anything we have to learn in Life.

Saying I DON’T KNOW is terrifying, the first oh, hundred bazillion times or so. And then something happens. It stops BEing so scary. It starts to pay some mighty unexpected dividends. In fact, BEing Willing NOT To Know BEcomes a joyous occasion. It has the capacity to elevate us higher than any knowing it all or any initials after our name ever could.

It’s never easy to get to where saying I don’t know feels fine. It’s something we’ll often resist, initially. I see this more in people far older and younger than I. As for me and others in similar stages of Life, saying I don’t know is a little like flying…

I love you, Currie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Currie, this is a wonderful post. You're so right about it. My kids are younger then the "why, why, why?" stage and I am already scared of the moment when I'll have to tell them "I don't know"...