Saturday, June 8, 2013

Currie's Gratitude 8 June 2013


When I was little I saw lots of squirrels and I guess I just took them for granted. And then, for a long time, I didn’t see squirrels. 

MayBE there were none. MayBE I wasn’t looking.

Or, just mayBE, I forgot about them altogether.

Now I see squirrels each and every day. I watch them fly from bush to branch, scurrying cross the fence outside, almost absentmindedly walking along the telephone [are those telephone poles standing above ground?!] wires, and chasing and chatting amongst themselves everywhere along where Gracie and I walk.

I am sure they DO have purpose and intention, yet to me it looks as if their entire Life is about BEing squirrels and DOing squirrelish things. 

They seem to have a default setting at PLAY, and even the “work” they DO is done playfully.

I’m guessing this is why I forgot about, stopped looking for, or simply took squirrels so for granted that I didn’t see them for years and years.

Awhile back I recall writing about my discovering squirrel chatter. I don’t know if I didn’t hear it BEfore, or, which seems more likely true, I simply didn’t expect any sound from them, but a NOT so long ago morning I learned that indeed squirrels are chatty and amusingly so, too!!!

Really… quite astonishing!! 


I love you, Currie

1 comment:

Rita said...

Oh yes! They chatter. They can really make noise when they are warning you away sometimes. I love watching them scamper and flit and play. I think the not walking is why you didn't notice them for a long time. When I came up here to go to college and had no car...I suddenly became so aware the the squirrels and birds and the cawing crows who followed me along the rooftops to school for almost a mile. (I do love crows, too!) Squirrels are a joy to watch, though. I totally agree. :)