Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Currie's Gratitude 15 April 2014


Everyone knew that if you divided reality by expectation, you got a happiness quotient. But when you invert the equation - expectation divided by reality - you didn't get the opposite of happiness. What you got, Lewis realized, was hope. [Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes]

Earlier I was writing about the ideas that dance in my head and dress themselves up like SHOULDS. It is really a rotten way to treat myself, having Expectations. But the thing is it is just so easy. Effortless.

The real effort comes when I call Expectation by its own name.

Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect.  [Margaret Mitchell]

Knowing a thing is great but living as though you DO is another altogether. So many thoughtsandfeelings are clomp-stomping through me that have no legs whatsoever. It’s no wonder I feel perpetually out of breath and dizzy.

We go from disappointment to disappointment, from hope to denial, from expectation to surrender, as we grow older, thinking or coming to think that what was wrong was the wanting, so intense it hurt us, and believing or coming to believe that hope was our mistake and expectation our error, and that everything the more we want it the more difficult the having it seems to be.   [Alfred Hayes, In Love]

Ohhhhhhh… I see.


I love you, Currie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have to think this over for a while! Meanwhile, wishing you a wonderful Easter:)

Rita said...

I think you can be expectant without being fixed on the outcome, you know? Just being expectant of life...of your day. Excited to see what happens. ;)