Saturday, February 15, 2014

Currie's Gratitude 15 February 2014


It is necessary ... for a man to go away by himself ... to sit on a rock ... and ask, 'Who am I, where have I been, and where am I going?   [Carl Sandburg]

And for a woman. As well all of God’s creatures…

BEing contemplative is both a luxury and a necessity. Something I’ve only learned through BEing forced, you might say, to spend these past 7 years sitting on the “rock” that is me living alone.

The happy man needs nothing and no one. Not that he holds himself aloof, for indeed he is in harmony with everything and everyone; everything is "in him"; nothing can happen to him. The same may also be said for the contemplative person; he needs himself alone; he lacks nothing.   [Josef Pieper, Happiness and Contemplation]

Again with the man… Yet this is true. We love and we choose and we make certain of others in our lives day by day, but we need nothing and no one but ourselves. And that Self can BE made of so many pieces, like a quilt.

I live an extraordinarily rich contemplative Life. I am glad I get to DO this. I am gladder still that I can see it as such.

Muddy water, let stand, becomes clear.    [Laozi]

Ahhhhhhh… Now I understand.


I love you, Currie

No comments: