Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Currie's Gratitude 28 August 2013


Then the singing enveloped me. It was furry and resonant, coming from everyone’s heart… [Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith]

I really think we’re all singing from our hearts. Always. And even then we are listening, too, for the songs in others’ hearts. But I might have Life mixed up with a Coca-Cola commercial. It happens. I am a product of my Journey.

Words make you think. Music makes you feel. A song makes you feel a thought. [Yip Harburg]

I canNOT think of a Time in my Life when music, words, and songs DO NOT stand head and shoulders above all the rest. There is a soundtrack for every piece of the Adventure I call My Life. And the words to the songs I remember are significant in wondrously impossible-to-explain ways.

One of my most favourite things about The Past is the singing. Whether it was my unabashed belting out songs while driving or the quieter memory of a song’s capacity to define the edges of my heart.

… There was no sense of performance or judgment, only that the music was breath and food… [A.L.]

It is easy to accept the sense of purpose songs have brought me.

If I cannot fly, let me sing. [Stephen Sondheim]

What he said. Exactly. Let me sing… 


I love you, Currie

1 comment:

Rita said...

I only used to sing alone in the car--LOL! Well, when I was living with a guy who had a country band I did sing on stage a couple times. Just 2-3 songs--and not until last set because with the drinks flowing people would be in a more generous mood by then. ROFL!! ;)