Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Currie's Gratitude 21 August 2013


Don’t Make  Assumptions. Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want… [Miguel Angel Ruiz]

It seems the most difficult thing I have to DO is ASK. Ask for help. Ask for money. Ask for time. Ask for encouragement. Ask for someone to just BE with me, either Right Here & Right Now [which is usually nearly impossible] OR by phone or email.

The thing I am discovering is that by NOT asking I think I am BEing kinder, more self-sufficient. NOT such a bother, and earning “Brownie Points” somehow. I think if I don’t ask much or often I can surely BE accommodated those times when I DO.

But it’s that darn pickle of assuming that gets me every time.

… Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement you can completely transform your life. [M.A.R.]

What I know is that I am the only one who CAN ask for what it is I want. Or need. Or think would help. But I always seem to want to avoid neediness and dependency, no matter the toll that takes on me.

Ultimately, those who have stayed, NOT advised, tried solving, or fixing me, just stayed, these are those I would ask. Fearlessly. Again. 


I love you, Currie

1 comment:

Rita said...

Looking back, my ending up like this has been a lesson in learning how to ask for help (combined with poking a big hole in my independent ego balloon). I was so used to doing things myself and never asking for assistance--I remember a couple boyfriends remarking how they didn't feel I needed them for anything. But, like you, I thought I wasn't being a bother to anyone. That's how I looked at it. But they felt I didn't need them and that they were of no value to me, I guess. Eye opening. :)