Thursday, August 22, 2013

Currie's Gratitude 22 August 2013


Listening is such a simple act. It requires us to be present, and that takes practice, but we don’t have to do anything else… [Margaret J. Wheatley]

Really, if I had just had the tiniest inkling of how wonderful it is to Listen, really  to just LISTEN to another person, I might BE living an entirely different sort of Life.

I might’ve NOT been alone so much of the time. NOT that alone isn’t wondrous, too, but there have been long stretches of handling aloneness as loneliness with liabilities. Yet, were I to have been a true Listener, perhaps I’d have been more “wanted” by those who grew tired of Having To listen to me. Over and over and over…

… We don’t have to advise, or coach, or sound wise. We just have to be willing to sit there and listen. [M.J.W.]

I’ve been the sort of listener who assumed I was to have snappy words to “come back” AND answers, suggestions, and insights. I’ve spent 60% of my time planning what to say when with 100% given to listening, perhaps I’d have discovered that this is what we all want. Really.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. [Winston Churchill]

I’m listening…


I love you, Currie

1 comment:

Rita said...

True! I think when people are lonely they are more missing being listened to than listening to. Says a lot about us humans and our egos, doesn't it? ;)