Sunday, January 5, 2014

Currie's Gratitude 5 January 2014


A cynic can chill and dishearten with a single word. [Ralph Waldo Emerson]

There are a great many ways the word CHILL is used. I like that about words. I like their depth and juiciness. I know many people use CHILL as a verb, when they say Chill Out. Others think about it in terms of the weather, as in the Chill Factor.

Emerson, however, has brought more of a “quilted” definition to Light. For me anyway. I think of cynicism and sarcasm as knives. They cut quick and fast. They go deep. And the odd thing is, I have always had the sense that the cynical and sarcastic mean their words as wise and insightful twists of a phrase.

Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument. The heated mind resents the chill touch and relentless scrutiny of logic. [William E. Gladstone]
This has often tripped me up. I feel things deeply. I have strong ideas, but if I find myself in a situation that calls for a debate, I’ll shut down.

I feel what I feel and think what I think yet it is all too intense. I know that my thoughtsandfeelings will BE cut to shreds.

And I care too deeply to let that BE their lot.


I love you, Currie

No comments: