Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Currie's Gratitude 9 September 2014


...When you die, the energy that kept you alive filters into the people you loved. Did you know that? It's like a fire you've tended all your life, and the sparks are all scattered into the wind.... That's why we survive as long as we do, because the people who loved us keep us going.    [Kevin Brockmeier, The View from the Seventh Layer]

I get that nobody really likes to talk about when you die stuff. We like to treat it as something too abstract to wrap words round.

And yet, almost any day of any week of any year there are people dying. Sometimes people we know about. Sometimes people we don’t know. And sometimes “our” people.

I’ve spent some time thinking about dying. Sort of have to, to a certain extent, but mostly I think about how I want to live.

BEcause, for as much an ordinary and everyday thing as dying is, how I live is completely up to me. Well, I am sure that’s NOT 100% true, but I like to take responsibility and this equation works for me.

I want to live in such a way that when I am gone I’ve left something BEhind. NOT stuff something, the sort of something that is less holdable and measureable. MayBE there just aren’t words…


I love you, Currie

2 comments:

Carol said...

I understand!!!! ♥

lorik said...

Your words are encouraging...inspiring. I have been quite negative lately... time to stop! Thank you:)