Thursday, September 18, 2014

Currie's Gratitude 18 September 2014


“Because," explained Mary Rommely simply, "the child must have a valuable thing which is called imagination. The child must have a secret world in which live things that never were. It is necessary that she believe. She must start out by believing in things not of this world. Then when the world becomes too ugly for living in, the child can reach back and live in her imagination. I, myself, even in this day and at my age, have great need of recalling the miraculous lives of the Saints and the great miracles that have come to pass on earth. Only by having these things in my mind can I live beyond what I have to live for.   [Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn]

Those who I feel myself writing to, have some remarkably amazing minds. I have been having such a struggle adjusting to the changes in my thinking, my mind, yet recently reminded myself how storytelling has always helped me round and through this sort of setback.

And for this I’m grateful. And for what I CAN remember. And even for what seems lost forever. To me.

Without the capacity to tell myself stories, I would simply NOT have the oxygen necessary to keep showing up.

All the parts of My Life deserve my attention.


I love you, Currie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, I too find storytelling to be supremely helpful.

Praying for you through your difficult passage.

much love

k

Rita said...

Ah!! Yes!! Life is a story. You are the author.
Love and hugs!!