Friday, November 8, 2013

Currie's Gratitude 8 November 2013


It has always seemed strange to me... the things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling, are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest, are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second. [John Steinbeck]

It is odd to BE digging so deep this morning. I think I might have spent a far too long time thinkingandfeeling without writing what I was thinkingandfeeling.

So Now, well, so Now is this.

And I DO like the gist of Steinbeck’s insight. I like its bluntness. And while it is blunt it is also subtle. It kind of creeps up and opens my eyes.

I am grateful for the time I spent incommunicado in October. It sort of “changed the air” [as B and her Nana would say] in my head. It has given rise to some deeper writing in the mornings… It has let me know myself in ways I never imagined I’d want to.

Ask yourself: Have you been kind today? Make kindness your daily modus operandi and change your world.  [Annie Lennox]

Seems a good Life Instruction to me. How about YOU?! Where is kindness taking YOU these days?!

I love you, Currie

1 comment:

Rita said...

We need to change the definition of success in the country. ;) Being the best person you can be and doing right by others should count as the highest success in life.