Sunday, November 17, 2013

Currie's Gratitude 17 November 2013


The novels I love, the ones I remember, the ones I re-read, have an empathetic human quality, or 'emotional truth'. This quality is difficult to fully define, but I always recognise it when I see it: it is different from honesty and more resilient than fact, something that exists not in the kind of fiction that explains but in the kind that shows.  [Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie]

This is something I try [and always fail] to explain to someone who asks me WHY I like some book or film or other something or other. To say I recognise it when I see it seems to NOT BE trying my best, but then, sometimes that’s the best I have.

I love the idea of resilience. I love how there is this built-in resilience BEing human. I love when I tap into it, too.

Resilience is all about being able to overcome the unexpected. Sustainability is about survival. The goal of resilience is to thrive. [Jamais Cascio]

Many things in Life have this sort of double-edgedness. Often I am NOT sure whether I see one thing, such as survival, in a better way than I see resilience.

But mostly I don’t differentiate that much. I just fly. Or go down trying.

I like to thrive. I really, REALLY like to thrive.


I love you, Currie

2 comments:

Vicki Miller said...

Loving yourself can be hard. Like most of us artists, I struggle with it all the time, but pieces like this always help to make us feel better

Rita said...

Some people don't have it.
Resilience is a treasure. :)