Sunday, November 16, 2014

Currie's Gratitude 16 November 2014


I have a lot of faith. But I am also afraid a lot, and have no real certainty about anything. I remembered something Father Tom had told me--that the opposite of faith is not doubt, but certainty. Certainty is missing the point entirely. Faith includes noticing the mess, the emptiness and discomfort, and letting it be there until some light returns.    [Anne Lamott, Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith]

I try to live simply and mostly manage to DO so, but no matter how low the common denominator, my Life still gets messy. A lot.

And it can also get rather dark. Quickly. I am pretty much always well aware of this, and sometimes I even see where I CHOSE this, but lately I’ve been thinking I may have got this all cornfuzzled.

Life’s BEing messy and those feelings that come wearing coats of emptiness and pain are the point though. When I get to that sort of place Now I’ve found a new perspective. I Now see that faith, in what are oftentimes hideous circumstances, is remarkable and encouraging.

I do not understand the mystery of grace -- only that it meets us where we are and does not leave us where it found us.   [Anne Lamott]

In the end that’s all you need to know.


I love you, Currie

No comments: