Saturday, December 27, 2014

Currie's Gratitude 27 December 2014


When we traded homemaking for careers, we were implicitly promised economic independence and worldly influence. But a devil of a bargain it has turned out to be in terms of daily life. We gave up the aroma of warm bread rising, the measured pace of nurturing routines, the creative task of molding our families' tastes and zest for life; we received in exchange the minivan and the Lunchable.   [Barbara Kingsolver, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life]

While I am pretty much quiet in terms of political matters, I find something quite wonderful about this sort of “win-win” approach. Whether homemaking is a career or working from home NOT really working, it’s really no one’s business but our own.

I am inspired by the people who put it all out there. The people who don’t hold back, don’t mutter in agitation, and who would never see anything in anyone’s gloomy terminology.

Most of my Life I felt that I really never had a handle on the all important Plan B. The fallback. The sure thing.

I think I thought having those things was somehow inauthentic, that I’d have to step and turn and sometimes leap BEyond what I’d thought my capacity. There was no sure way to “have my cake” if I was going to eat it.


I love you, Currie

No comments: