Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Currie's Gratitude 17 December 2014


You are born into your family and your family is born into you. No returns. No exchanges.   [Elizabeth Berg, The Art of Mending]

Nothing says something like this. You know how someone in your family did/does those excrutiatingly outrageous things, right out there in front of God and Everyone?! How YOU try to will yourself invisible as you are sliding down and down your chair?!

And then, suddenly, without warning or even a veiled hint, these “excrutiatingly outrageous things” BEcome endearing and so tender to watch.

I’ve NOT felt myself so different from someone else that I have LONG known than I DO with my mother. And you know what?! That’s still true. But Now I see how precious a thing that is, having this annoyingly impossible on so many levels woman a part of my every day Now.

People are stupid. Why are they so stupid? There is an algorithm for the way humans were designed: love and be loved. Follow it and you’re happy. Fight against it and you’re not. It’s so simple, it’s hard to understand.   [Elizabeth Berg, Once Upon a Time, There Was You]

I don’t know when exactly I BEcame so remote and judgmental, but I am Very Glad I seem to have slipped out of it, like a snake shedding its skin.


I love you, Currie

1 comment:

Rita said...

I've thought that maybe some of that is just the gift of time. At least in my case it has been. Time and striving to be a better person maybe? But I know exactly what you mean. We all each of us unique. And some of that very uniqueness drives us crazy for a while--LOL! But what would life be without those little crazy things? :) :)