Sunday, December 14, 2014

Currie's Gratitude 14 December 2014


The battle of being mortal is the battle to maintain the integrity of one's life-to avoid becoming so diminished or dissipated or subjugated that who you are becomes disconnected from who you were or who you want to be.   [Atul Gawande]

I don’t know how long this “phase” will last, but I hope you will indulge me trying out some voices and BEing curious to sample the What Ifs?!

Even though most anyone would BE happier if they or their loved one[s] did NOT suffer, ever, but most especially in the end of Life. Watching someone slipping out of themselves is rather amazing. Seeing my mum, yesterday, at the Desert Botanical Garden, exploring the paths with my sister-in-love, I want to say was far more precious a moment than any of the memories I have of Mum up until Now. Right Now.

Watching and listening to my mum “out in the World” ably perched on her scooter BEing Who She Is, it was like the deliciousness of hot tea in from the cold. I think I have a smile inside of me, like a tattoo.

The ends of our lives are remarkable. Like the BEginnings. The Middles. And everything in BEtween.

Maintaining one’s Self no matter what slows or blocks the path?! Well that one’s definitely a dealbreaker.


I love you, Currie

3 comments:

Rita said...

"I think I have a smile inside of me, like a tattoo." That says it all!!! :)

Carol said...

I like the tattoo quote also!!!!! This morning I read another quote that so fit here......
“The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing... not healing, not curing... that is a friend who cares.”

― Henri Nouwen

Sending you Love and Strength ♥

Carol said...

I like the tattoo quote also!!!!! This morning I read another quote that so fit here......
“The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing... not healing, not curing... that is a friend who cares.”

― Henri Nouwen

Sending you Love and Strength ♥