Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Currie's Gratitude 7 October 2014


There is something in us, as storytellers and as listeners to stories, that demands the redemptive act, that demands that what falls at least be offered the chance to be restored. The reader of today looks for this motion, and rightly so, but what he has forgotten is the cost of it. His sense of evil is diluted or lacking altogether, and so he has forgotten the price of restoration. When he reads a novel, he wants either his sense tormented or his spirits raised. He wants to be transported, instantly, either to mock damnation or a mock innocence.   [Flannery O'Connor, Mystery and Manners: Occasional Prose]

Really?! DO you find this trait in you?! DO you, too, consider story as almost more necessary than the grace of riding the lightbeams?! DO you want things wrapped up in 42 minutes?! DO loose ends and unfinished storylines nag at you?!

One of the things I have learned through this practise of Gratitude is how storylines are my mental images of What’s UP in anyone’s Life. Often others will write of something in their immediate Right Now and never speak of it again. I want to write them and ask the questions that bat about in me.

But I don’t. At least I don’t DO it without knowing I’m DOing it.


I love you, Currie

No comments: