Monday, June 23, 2014

Currie's Gratitude 23 June 2014


The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds.   [R. D. Laing]

I know, which came first, the chicken or the egg?! But reading it again helps me see that this is exactly what my brain does. It notices the weirdest stuff sometimes. In the mornings, lately, out walking with Gracie about 5, there are so many things to notice. And for no reason but that I’m noticing them.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time. The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.   [Neil Gaiman]

It is true, I think, that we all DO this stuff. And I don’t really think there is anything wrong with boredom or daydreaming as daily fare…

But isn’t it amazing what our thoughts think sometimes?!

Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind.   [Bruce Lee]

Noticing is an important skillset. It requires bendiness that has just enough resistance and NOT too very much more.


I love you, Currie

No comments: