Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Currie's Gratitude 17 September 2013


It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena…who errs and comes short again and again; …who…if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. [Theodore Roosevelt]

I don’t think of myself as daring or particularly brave yet I’ve been acknowledged as both. I didn’t understand why until I read BrenĂ© Brown’s Daring Greatly, which has this quote as its springboard.

I DO think of others’ bravery. I see their leaps of faith. I am inspired by their willingness to follow their dreams, their hearts, their very essence. In quieter moments I am BEginning to see where I fall on this spectrum. This encourages me. Makes me a little bolder.

When I dare to be powerful - to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid. [Audre Lorde] 

Another great inspiration of mine. These words invite me to speak my vision and see it through, no matter how “impossible” others insist it may BE.  


I love you, Currie

3 comments:

Zena said...

Beautiful post, very inspiring.

Beverley Baird said...

These are both wonderful quotes. I especially like the second>
Love your art "Dare" - something we all need to do!

Rita said...

I think there are good dares and bad dares. Most of the bad dares when I was young were other people's ideas--LOL! ;)