Sunday, March 16, 2014

Currie's Gratitude 16 March 2014


When you listen, it's amazing what you can learn. When you act on what you've learned, it's amazing what you can change. [Audrey McLaughlin]

It is NOT always convenient to listen. Especially it is NOT convenient when what I hear virtually up-ends my BEliefs and how I roll.  And still, I listen. I have learned that much in Life…

The word 'listen' contains the same letters as the word 'silent'. [Alfred Brendel]

Things like this stop me cold. It is like I am just BEcoming aware of all I couldn’t [wouldn’t?!] see or hear or know BEfore Right Now.

Listening does NOT require so much as I have thought. It merely requires that I suspend my judgments and stop thinking about what I will say when I next have “my turn” to talk.

I've begun to realize that you can listen to silence and learn from it. It has a quality and a dimension all its own. It talks to me sometimes. I feel myself alive in it…
…It has a strange, beautiful texture. It doesn't always talk. Sometimes - sometimes it cries, and you can hear the pain of the world in it. It hurts to listen to it then. But you have to.  [Chaim Potok, The Chosen]

It is a remarkable thing to listen to silence…


I love you, Currie

1 comment:

Rita said...

Silence has been a newer thing for me in general the past year or so. I used to pop on the TV for company in the morning and have it on all day. Now I don't turn on the TV during the week until dinner time in the evening. I do listen to music sometimes--but I have on the wordless, relaxation type music (good for my blood pressure). I write and read more than I used to. ;)