Monday, April 6, 2015

6 April 2015


This is the most profound spiritual truth I know: that even when we're most sure that love can't conquer all, it seems to anyway. It goes down into the rat hole with us, in the guise of our friends, and there it swells and comforts. It gives us second winds, third winds, hundredth winds.   [ Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith]

I don’t want to BE a whiner. I think it was remarkably good planning to leave me on my own to travel this path of living with cancer, and, more exactly, to make my own peace with it and all it touches.

So how, then, can I really learn to “hold” the “bad days” and NOT get pissy when I feel crankish and sore?! I don’t know.

But this I DO know: friends, their kindnesses, their willingness to DO something helpful, and their simply showing up in the myriad ways friends can works like a dream.

When I have a string of days where I feel like a noodle-body, touchy and tender, and quite “unfit to print,” I’m less likely to isolate than to quickly reach out for something BEyond my grasp. It’s NOT easy to DO this, but easy isn’t even the point.

I know only a little. That’s comforting. I know what matters.


I love you, Currie

1 comment:

Rita said...

In my personal experience, easy has never been the point. ;) *hugs*