Saturday, April 11, 2015

11 April 2015


Here's why I will be a good person. Because I listen. I cannot speak so I listen very well. I never interrupt, I never deflect the course of the conversation with a comment of my own. People, if you pay attention to them, change the direction of one another's conversations constantly. it's like having a passenger in your car who suddenly grabs the steering wheel and turns you down a side street.   [Garth Stein, The Art of Racing in the Rain]

Dogs are generally wiser than we are. This is something that might BE impossible for some to wrap their heads around. That’s okay. Agreement’s highly overrated.

Chester's playing filled the station. Like ripples around a stone dropped into still water, the circles of silence spread out from the newsstand. And as people listened, a change came over their faces. Eyes that looked worried grew soft and peaceful; tongues left off chattering; and ears full of the city's rustling were rested by the cricket's melody.   [George Selden, The Cricket in Times Square]

I think many of us are scared of silence. Of the places where hush and pause are prevalent. I know it makes me talk too much, wearing my anxiety like a jaunty little cap.

Listening, loving silent spaces, and letting Life BE Life, make us ourselves.


I love you, Currie

2 comments:

Rita said...

I tend to fill silence, too, when I am with other people. The only people who seem to appreciate it are the very shy--LOL! Not my best quality, I fear. And my happy chattering is more pronounced since rarely see other people. ;)

Even though I have Karma to talk to (ROFL!) I do tend to fill my days with computer conversations, youtube videos. and TV...probably more than I should.

Interesting post, Currie. Have a good week!! :)

Carol said...

I bounce back and forth between that chatty extrovert and the quiet introvert who so loves the deep quiet and thoughts. Not that I am balanced by any means :)
Sending you LOVE & STRENGTH & HEALING OF SPIRIT. Wishing you a PEACEFUL Quiet weekend.